JD from “Heathers” is a Gryffindor

Greetings and salutations!

Out of all the 80s cult classic movies, Heathers is one of the ones that pops to mind instantly. The one about the gang of three girls named Heather who rule over a high school. The one with Winona Ryder and Christian Slater and their superior acting. The beautiful murdering of three people, and attempted bombing of their school, it’s just the perfect relaxing Saturday movie. Just curl up with a nice hot chocolate, while watching a bunch of teenagers murdering each other. It’s anyone’s ideal weekend.

As a gigantic nerd, I like to sort my favorite characters into their Hogwarts houses. For example, Heather McNamara is a Hufflepuff, loyal and hardworking. But when it came to sorting Jason Dean, the antagonist of it all, the mastermind behind the serial murders, he fit all the traits and was sorted into the Gryffindor house. When I tell people my revelation, the response I usually get is negative. “JD is a Slytherin! It’s where all the bad guys are!” they say. So, I’ve decided in the course of the next few paragraphs, to prove to you that Jason Dean is a Gryffindor.

One of the traits of a Gryffindor is recklessness. JD strongly shows this characteristic. One of JD’s most infamous lines is: “Chaos is great! Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling.” He says this to the protagonist, Veronica Sawyer, when she complains about how chaotic everything is getting. His recklessness, his disregard for the rules and not caring about his actions, kills three people and puts the entire school in danger. He loves the chaos that his actions are causing, and he doesn’t care about how much it’s hurting everyone else. This is one of the traits that make JD a Gryffindor.

Another trait of Gryffindor is a sense of self-righteousness, meaning that they think that everything that they’re doing is right. An example from the movie is when JD tricks Veronica into killing two football players, Kurt and Ram, and JD says, “Football season is over, Veronica. Kurt and Ram had nothing left to offer the school except date rapes and AIDS jokes.” JD thinks that all the things he is doing are right. He thinks that because he only murdered bad people, that it’s okay. In the quote, he’s saying that Kurt and Ram, without football, were just bullies, so it’s okay to murder them. This sense of self-righteousness makes JD strongly Gryffindor.

The final point being made is about how Gryffindors are arrogant, which JD is very. JD says to Veronica, “Our love is God, let’s go get a slushie.” JD is making a point about how his and Veronica’s relationship transcends what normal people can experience, when really it’s just a toxic relationship that JD is pushing Veronica into. JD is trying to convince Veronica to stay with him and carry out his insane plans, so he says that their love is essentially divine. Then, he brushes it off like it’s nothing, like it’s something Veronica should have already known. This shows his arrogance, in how selfish and ignorant he is to what he’s doing. JD exhibits the Gryffindor trait of arrogance.

To anyone who isn’t a giant nerd, who doesn’t sort their favorite characters into Hogwarts houses for fun, this probably makes no sense whatsoever. But for me, this is a good way to spend my time. This proves that not all Gryffindors are good people, as they are often seen as the main heroes in life. But JD is a perfect example of a Gryffindor’s moral compass pointing the wrong way.

Heathers is a great movie. It’s dark and twisted, but still comical. The characters show so much depth and there is so much symbolism in the tiniest of actions… I could go on forever. But, I think one in-depth essay is enough for you. So, if you haven’t watched Heathers, check it out on Netflix. Then come back and read this article because this probably made no sense. Thanks for reading!

Works Cited:

Lehmann, Michael, director. Heathers. 1988.

Layne, Brandon. “What Are the Characteristics of the Hogwarts Houses in Harry Potter?” Quora, 27 Mar. 2016, www.quora.com/What-are-the-characteristics-of-Hogwarts-houses-in-Harry-Potter-What-is-their-role-and-what-do-they-represent.