How K-Pop Works

If you read my blog last week, you know that I was talking about why you should listen to K-pop. This week, I figured I would explain what it is more extensively.

(K-pop Group 2NE1)

K-pop is Korean pop music. So they sing pretty much all in Korean. In K-pop, there are different companies that are like agencies for the K-pop groups and idols. Within the companies, there is the “Big Three”. The Big Three companies are YG Entertainment, SM Entertainment, and JYP Entertainment. The reason they are the “Big Three” is that they are the companies that gross the highest per year. Companies also are agencies for actors and actresses. K-pop idols under these companies train before they become an idol. This training period can vary from person to person. Once they are prepared, they debut as an idol. A debut is when a trainee releases their music for the first time.

Once an idol debuts, they release music in three different categories. Either a single, so just one song, a mini album (an ep in western music) or an album. When they release these songs, they have a comeback. A comeback is when they release new music. They also do Music Shows, which are TV shows in Korea where they perform and promote their music. Most groups also have a fandom name, a name for their fans. Like EXO, a famous boy group in Korea, their fandom name is EXO-L. Most of the time they mean special things. MONBEBE, MONSTA X’s fandom name is based on the French word Mon meaning mine. So Monbebe is My Baby. K-pop fan are highly devoted to their groups. Most of the time, fans of a K-pop group have what’s called a bias. A bias is where you have a “favorite” member. For example, my bias is Stray Kids is Bang Chan. K-pop idols also have stage names a lot of the time. Like J-Hope of BTS’ real name is Hoseok. It’s like Lady Gaga real name isn’t Lady Gaga.

K-pop is a wonderful world of magic and love. Being a K-pop is probably the greatest thing I’ve ever decided to do. If you are at all interested in K-pop, check my lats blog for song recommendations.

Bibliography

“Big 3 Agencies.” Kpop Wiki, kpop.wikia.com/wiki/Big_3_agencies.

KpopStarz. “Monsta X Explain The Meaning Behind Their Unusual Fan Club Name.” KpopStarz, 9 Nov. 2015, www.kpopstarz.com/articles/253476/20151109/monsta-x-fan-club.htm.

1 thought on “How K-Pop Works