The History of Mrs. Smith

Who is Mrs. Smith truly? How did her love of science start? Born in 1973 in Grand Junction, Colorado. In her childhood stages she would use her extra time to plant flowers, work with her mom in the garden and swim. Her favorite subject in elementary was art. Mrs. Smith always liked to draw. One of her favorite cartoons was “Bugs Bunny”. She would make a bed on the living room floor every Saturday morning and stare at the tv for hours.

Though in her teenage years she attended and graduated from Central High School in 1991. The hardest class she ever took in high school was Physics and Chemistry. She has a lot of hate for Physics, I wouldn’t blame her. Very first job she had was a Kmart cashier, all her friends worked there so the job was really fun and chaotic. She was a cheerleader for 3 years and then quit and joined the Body Building team. Taking 2nd place in the state of Colorado that year! 

When she started College she went to not only one but 5 different colleges. Mesa State College, University of Colorado Denver, University of Santa Barbara, Colorado Mesa University and Colorado State University. She learned a huge lesson in her College life which was “to have goals, have achievements, make sure you complete what you have set out to do, always be one step ahead and never one step behind.” Her biggest influence was her Aunt though she didn’t live in Colorado, she admired how she was a single mother of four, and she worked three jobs. But her Aunt managed to pull all her kids through College.

When she finally decided to become a science teacher was when she was with her kids. Took them to the park where they would pick up plastic trash. She taught them about science and animals. She saw their faces lit up and they were so fascinated. She loves the experiences and says that it is different everyday when teaching. The biggest lesson she learned is “to not depend on someone else, either that being money, love, happiness, stability, status. If you do, you haven’t accomplished your purpose in this life. Do what YOU want, not what you think someone else wants you to do. Set BIG goals, even if they are out of reach, because there is no better feeling than attaining that goal.” Her most memorable moments have been watching her Seniors graduate and watching them go from silly Freshmen to graduation.

She works hard at empowering girls to get into Science, as it is a field that is dominated by men. I understand that it is a lot of work to be a teacher, and I think she is better than average. She works very hard for her students. She says that “everyday I think of things that I can fix, and how I can improve as a teacher, I lose sleep over their problems.” Everyday she doesn’t clock out at 3:15pm, she stays and works over time. I personally think Mrs. Smith is a very kind, smart, and understanding teacher, and how she really loves her job. I also enjoy when she includes her own stories into science, it makes it more interesting. If I could have her again as a science teacher, I would take that opportunity.