Baja 1000

Hello, my name is Brody Elliott and I have had a deep interest in the Baja 1000. I’m sure you have heard about it somewhere or maybe even completely know about it. Well if you don’t know much about it I will tell you the main things about it. To start off, there are 9 different classes. There are motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, stock Volkswagens, production vehicles, buggies, trucks, and custom fabricated race vehicles. All of these options are not cheap, but I will be focusing on trophy trucks. Trophy trucks are insane off road vehicles that range from $950,000 to $1,000,000. Trophy trucks are completely built up from the ground with all custom parts and in my opinion the most impressive part is the suspension. You can’t just buy the suspension online, it has to be customly made for you. 

Now, a little bit about the Baja 1000. For starters the entry fee is around $82,000 it may sound like a lot but it makes sense. This race is in Mexico and you need fuel, spare parts, dining, and lodging. This race is a 34 hour off road race day and night. There are 29 drivers in the trophy truck class and last year only 22 people made it through. On average 1 person dies every year at the baja 1000. It could be a driver or a fan, most of the time it’s the fans. The reason for this is some of them try to run across the track right when there is a truck and sometimes it ends in a fatality. If they are lucky they end with a broken bone or two. But, not all the time the fans are being dumb, some times bad luck hits and the drivers wrecks and goes strait into the croud which is uncontrollable.

While driving, the max speed you can go would be about 140 MPH! But, most racers don’t go that fast because they are constantly hitting ditches, whoops, jumps, and berms. The very first Baja 1000 started on October 31, 1967. It has been going ever since, and it has been around for about 53 years! Now, there are some other things you need for the Baja 1000 and I will list them.

Clearly you would need a trophy truck, (or any other class you are interested in) but you need about 2 other vehicles and they are called pre-runners. A pre-runner is a vehicle that acts as a trophy truck but is meant to be beat up. You can also use side by sides. The other vehicle is a backup for the pre-run. Let’s say you crash your pre-runner and total it, that’s when your pre-runner comes in handy. You may have a recurring question. Why do you need a prerunner, well before you race you need to pre run the course and get to know it a little. If you don’t there will be certain lines that would make you go through it faster you would miss. Thank you for reading this, goodbye.