You Need a john Deere 8640

The 8640 is a tractor John Deere produced from 1979 to 1982. It originally cost 80,000 dollars in 1982. I’m here to tell you why I love the 8640 and why you should.

First of all the John Deere 8640 is 4wd giving you plenty of traction even on uneven terrain making plowing, disking and planting possible in all conditions. Personally I love the fact that the 8640 is 4wd, it makes pulling heavier implements easier, making work more efficient, thus the days are shorter and we all know how important that is. Plus the 8640 is an articulating tractor, making it easy to make tighter turns with implements in fields. So you have to make less passes on the end row so you can turn around. The ability to turn sharp can help you be more efficient and we all know efficiency is key.

The John Deere 8640 has a 10.1 liter 6 cylinder diesel motor that produces 275 horsepower and 225 horsepower at the pto. Giving you the ability to pull implements that have varying weights and lengths and widths. You also have enough power at the pto to run a baler and a rototiller if needed. With that big of a motor comes a need for fuel and the John Deere 8640 has a 214 gallon fuel tank. I can tell you from personal experience that when you run this tractor for 12 hours depending on use you are using 125 to 150 gallons of fuel. So you will need to fuel up before work everyday when working multiple days in a row. However, it’s worth it as this tractor will impress you time and time again with its power output. Now we have brought the 8640 to its knees a couple of times pulling the ripper. Yet we can never quite seem to get it to stop turning the dirt for us.

Truthfully the John Deere 8640 is just a sound tractor that has done great things for us on the farm. They are on the cheaper side to buy as well. Looking or using 8640’s the most expensive it will get is no more than 40,000 and that’s if they are in great condition. We have a local John Deere dealership and they will deliver an 8640 you buy to your farm if you don’t have the resources to move such a large tractor. So John Deere really makes it hard to say no to an 8640. We love the tractor. We also have an 8630 which is the older version of the 8640 and both tractors have done great things for us. We love the product.

Now all you have to do is go find an 8640 for yourself and trust me you will fall in love with it just as much as I have.

Work Cited

“TractorData.com John Deere 8640 tractor information.” TractorData.com, 12 November 2016, https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/0/102-john-deere-8640.html. Accessed 12 April 2022.