Mr. Van Camp

This week, I sat down with my math teacher, Mr. Van Camp. I didn’t know very much about him other than he teaches math. So I sat down and asked him a few questions. The first few questions were about his teaching career. I found out that he has been teaching for about 32 years, and he started teaching in 1982. The way he is unique when it comes to teaching is that he has taught lower level math like 4th and 5th grade so if his student has some issues with their lower level problems he can help.

He also has an interesting life outside of his career. He loves to bike, camp, and hike. Anything that has to do with being outdoors he is the first to run. He also told me the best story of his childhood. One day, when he was five years old, he and his brother were running through the snow covered fields. Only the field he was running in was trickled with dug out pole holes and they were like little landmines everywhere. He was running and he accidently ran into one of the snow covered holes and his foot got stuck in the snow. His brother went back to the house and he was panicking. Since he was five he thought it would be a good idea to make the hole bigger by sticking his other foot in it. To his surprise he was now twice as stuck. Bottom line he made it our ok and learned his lesson to never run in the snow covered field.

All in all what Mr. Van Camp’s life gave him made him the person he is today. He said that every year his students keep getting better. He doesn’t know if it’s the students themselves or he is getting used to the grade. He also says he cannot decide what his favorite moment teaching is because he is confident that it has not happened yet. And that’s what I learned about Mr. Van Camp.