Biogenesis Clinic Scandal

Biogenesis Clinic Scandal

When you think of the MLB, you might think of Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun, or even Nelson Cruz, and how they are players filled with integrity and who are loyal to the game of baseball. Well, in 2013, Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun, and Nelson Cruz were involved in the Biogenesis Clinic involving the use of PED’s (Performance Enhancing Drugs).

First, let’s start with Alex Rodriguez, third basemen for the New York Yankees. Alex was first reported using PED’s in high school. Then he continued using them after he signed with the Yankees. “Rodriguez injected the HGH into his stomach, the DEA report stated, according to the newspaper. Rodriguez said Bosch told him the HGH would help with sleep, weight, hair growth, eyesight and muscle recovery. According to the report, Rodriguez was trained in tricks to beat a urine test. Bosch advised him to only use mid-stream urine for MLB drug testing. The DEA report stated, according to the newspaper, Bosch told Rodriguez not to use the beginning or the end urine stream”(ESPN). He was then later suspended 211 regular seasons games.

Now let’s move on to Ryan Braun, outfielder for the Milwaukee Brewers. In 2011, Ryanbaseball PED Braun was named the Nation League MVP. Unfortunately, in 2012 Braun tested positive for using PED’s and was given a 65 game suspension. “Braun blamed the positive test on faulty testing and an arbitrator overturned the results citing that the urine sample had been improperly handled” (NBC). In 2013, Braun was handed a 50 game suspension for violating the MLB’s drug policy. Braun was also given an additional 15 game suspension for violating the league’s basic agreement. The two suspension totaled the final number of games suspended to 65.

Next, Nelson Cruz. In 2013, Nelson Cruz, outfielder for the Texas Rangers at the time, was claimed to be connected to the Biogenesis Clinic. As a result, Cruz was suspended 50 games and, “reportedly left his agents at ACES, an agency that represented other players involved in the clinic” (NBC). “From November, 2011 to January, 2012, I was seriously ill with a gastrointestinal infection, helicobacter pylori, which went undiagnosed for over a month. By the time I was properly diagnosed and treated, I had lost 40 pounds. Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error.” (Oz)

What are the symptoms of PED’s to adults you may ask? Well here is a huge list of symptoms. “Anxiety and/or depression, Baldness (in men), Decrease in sexual function and interest, Decreased muscle mass and strength, Difficult to concentrate and lack of memory, Dry, thin skin, Elevated triglyceride levels, Fatigue and/or tiredness, Heart problems, High levels of LDL (the “bad”) cholesterol, Insulin resistance, Lower tolerance to exercise, Reduced bone density making you more susceptible to developing osteoporosis, Sensitive to heat and cold, Very low energy levels, and, Weight gain around the waist” (Toft). With all these symptoms, I do not see why athletes would want take PED’s just to hit more home runs, or steal more bases. They already get paid millions of dollars doing what they already do. Also, you simply lose fans when you cheat, and a lot of them too.

To conclude this scandal essay, PED’s in baseball are just not fair to the game, other players, and fans. People want loyal and respectful players who also have integrity to the game they love. Everyone wants to see a player hit forty or more home runs in a season and win a world series, but not when people on that team are cheating. Let’s put an end to the use of PED’s or HGH in the game of baseball.

“Alex Rodriguez.” ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2016.

“Baseball’s Steroid Scandals.” NBC Sports. N.p., 05 Feb. 2009. Web. 08 Mar. 2016.

Oz, Mike. “Nelson Cruz Uses Performance-enhancing Drugs.” Yahoo Sports. Yahoo, 5 Aug. 2013. Web. 08 Mar. 2016.