Conspiracy week : The Mandela Effect

The Mandela Effect

The human memory is a strange thing, one minute you’re  positive something happened in a specific way, but the next you’re completely wrong. The human brain is capable of dreaming up unimaginable things but when something is thought of by millions of people can it still be imaginary? This is the whole concept of the mandela effect.

The Mandela Effect is a theory of false memories, thoughts of  past events that many people believed happened yet they’re all wrong, but it feels so real that they refuse to believe current reality and keep a fixed mindset, many say maybe it just didn’t happen in this reality . Psychologists call this Confabulation, or false memory. This conspiracy is a mass misremembering. The Mandela effect was established when Nelson Mandela was said to have died in prison in the 1980’s with many people believing this statement to be true, but was found to have not died until 2013. This began the phenomenon of the Mandela Effect.

There are many examples of this Phenomenon throughout the years. When i started investigating this topic one example stood out to me. The Berenstein Bears, a classic children’s story published in 1962 Written by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain. Many people remember the book title The Berenstien Bears, however if you were to look at a book today it would read The Berenstain Bears. There are many controversies about this issue but growing up watching this show and reading these books I was shook. But there is proof, in a video on YouTube Maria Cantu shows a book she found at a garage sale with the title being The Berenstein Bears.

Another childhood classic was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs written by The brothers Grimm, in 1812. The movie produced by Walt Disney was released in 1938. The iconic quote “mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?” (grimm) is known by many but is what we remember correct? Looking back at the 1938 movie the quote we all remember is wrong. The actual phrase said by the evil queen is “Magic mirror on the wall…” (Grimm). Its slight miss conceptions like these that make people feel like they’re going insane when really it’s been a mass misremembering.

Another example is from 1984, the 57th Academy Awards. Sally Field wins Best actress in a leading role for Places in the Heart. Many remember Field saying during her acceptance speech “And I can’t deny the fact that they like me, they really like me!”(Fields)  This quote in itself shows human emotion and the need to be liked but her true statement was “And I can’t deny the that they you like me. Right now you like me!”(Field) But Sally herself says her quote wrong,. In the link below it shows Sally on The David Letterman Show in 1993, Where she says “They like, They really like me” Another example shown by Sally is her last name, Many remember her as Sally Fields, but her real name is Sally Field. Some believe that Sally Fields is the one who says “They like me. They really like me!” (Fields) Is from a different reality, while Sally Field Whos says “You like me, Right now you like me!” (Field) Is from our reality.   https://youtu.be/1ZhxLE_BmeQ?t=9m44s

There are many examples of this effect but the last one I will be explaining is from George Lucas’s Star wars. One of the most iconic lines in history is from George Lucas’s Star Wars, seen the movie or not i can almost guarantee you’ve heard this classic line once in your life. In the scene where Darth Vader is speaking with luke, Darth Vader utters what will later become one of the most famous quotes of all time “Luke, I am your father”(Lucas)  But have we been remembering it all wrong? The words Darth Vader actually say is “No, I am your father”(Lucas)  Now this may be the Death of many die hard STar Wars fans out there, but it’s true. In the clip liked below you see Darth saying these very words to Luke. Shocking and slightly terrifying if i do say so myself. https://youtu.be/g1fIH6GMIJg

The Mandela Effect is a conspiracy thought of by many people throughout the world.   As mind boggling as it is interesting, the Mandela Effect Is a mass misremembering starting with Nelson Mandela himself, to The Berenstain bears, Snow white, to sally Field, Star Wars, Oscar Mayer wieners, the Mona lisa, Hannibal Lecter ,Peanut butter and even kit kat. If you are as interested as i am about this topic there is so much more to find, with many websites showcasing this mystical wonder confusing and mind boggling anyone who crosses their path. Now question what you thought and make sure your remembering them correctly, you yourself may even have been Mandela Effected sometime in the course of your life.

Work cited

“Berenstein Bears Proof? • r/MandelaEffect.” Reddit, www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/5luwp9/berenstein_bears_proof/.

Hudspeth, Christopher. “20 Examples Of The Mandela Effect That’ll Make You Believe You’re In A Parallel Universe.” BuzzFeed, www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhudspeth/crazy-examples-of-the-mandela-effect-that-will-make-you-ques?utm_term=.hcnlYgyyp.

“Academy Awards Acceptance Speech Database.” Academy Awards Acceptance Speeches – Search Results | Margaret Herrick Library | Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, aaspeechesdb.oscars.org/link/057-3/.

“YouTube.” YouTube, 2 July 2016, youtu.be/lCnPEwvtwmY.

“YouTube.” YouTube, 18 Oct. 2013, youtu.be/1ZhxLE_BmeQ?t=9m44s.

https://youtu.be/g1fIH6GMIJg