Ms. Fink

There are a lot of fanamel teachers here at the 8/9, but Ms. Fink is a teacher that I would like to introduce to you. She has been an impactful teacher on me and my fellow classmates, she is caring and always wants the best out of all her students, not only as students, but as people in general. But what was Ms. Fink’s life like leading up to this point?

Ms. Fink has lived in many places, she’s lived in Utah, California, Idaho, Costa Rica, and Grand Junction. She’s also has 3 brothers, she’s the 2nd oldest but is the bossiest out of all 4 kids. 

Ms. Fink’s greatest childhood memory is pretty impactful. Her family’s Thanksgivings are pretty big and her parents had a very cool tradition. She said, “My family makes a huge dinner. My parents are very kind and giving and wanted to raise us to be that was as well, so every year my dad would go invite someone homeless or less fortunate (that wouldn’t have Thanksgiving dinner) to our family’s Thanksgiving dinner.” This tradition clearly reflects in Ms. Fink for the kindness, and caring that she shows all her students, this obviously had a large impact on her and she’s going on to try and impact her students and other people in the same way.

She was also a very active little kid that tried lots of sports, she did gymnastics, soccer, volleyball, a little bit of softball, skiing, and surfing at a young age. As she went on to high school she decided to pursue  playing soccer and she also joined the ski and board club, still continuing to be very active. She went to Grand Junction highschool and was a very social and loud student, she was always involved and she said she thinks everyone knew who she was at that school because they could hear her coming down the hall. She was apart of yearbook and her senior year all the girls had a dance battle and her team won, it was very fun and one of her greatest high school memories.

As high school came to a close, however, she had to start thinking about college. At this time she was in Idaho and decided to go the Brigham Young University- Idaho, or BYU-I. She later transferred down to Colorado Mesa University or CMU. She always knew that she wanted to major in science and wanted to something within that department, but she didn’t know she wanted to be a teacher. She decided to go through with trying teaching because it was only a few more classes for her to have to do. But even while going through her teaching classes she wasn’t sure teaching was her thing. Once she started student teaching is when she fell in love with the job and knew that it was what she wanted to do. She started teaching in 2018 and hasn’t yet regretted her decision. Ms. Fink is very excited for her future of teaching, she loves the 8/9, but she’s not only excited for her future of teaching, but she’s excited to get married in February and just excited to see where life goes.

Finally, I asked Ms. Fink what advice she would give her younger self, and she had some really good advice. She advised her younger self to not take life so seriously at such a young age and to have more fun. But then she had somewhat odd advice, she said to date more people, she had long relationships and few, she wished she had dated around a little more. Her last piece of advice was to eat more junk food at a young age while you can. 

Ms. Fink is truly an incredible, kind hearted teacher who has impacted many students to include me through her teaching and now even through her stories. I feel very lucky to have had her as my 8th grade science teacher. My advice to following classes who will have her as a teacher is to treat her with the same kindness and respect she’ll treat you with.