What Causes Drug Use?

I have always wanted to know, what is the appeal of drugs? Why do people do it? Throughout my life many people I know have let drugs take over their life and destroy it. I want to discover what they were thinking, and reasons why they did them. Drugs can affect many things like your mental/ body health. In my mind there are definitely way more cons in drugs. 

First question is what is the appeal of drugs? People say that peer pressure is a big reason why. But honestly not really, “The power of peer pressure doesn’t apply equally to all kinds of peers.” (Michael Muldoon). It depends on how comfortable you are around them, mainly about how they treat you, and how you respond to it. The appeals can be anything from “wanting to experiment, or you want to have fun.” But in the end you really won’t. 

Why do some people become addicted to drugs while others don’t? It is all based on  “genes that people are born with account for about half of a person’s risk for addiction. Gender, ethnicity, and the presence of other mental disorders may also influence risk for drug use and addiction.” (National Institute on Drug Abuse). Second is based on the environment you live/ grew up in, and lastly is how you developed.  

What happens to your health? When doing drugs at a young age, or any age in this matter your learning, judgment, decision-making, stress, memory, behavior will change for the worse. People want to do drugs to fit in, escape or relax, relieve boredom, to seem grown up, to rebel, and or experiment. But please think about how it will affect your life, your body/mental health, and how your behavior and thinking will change for the worse. If you or any friends or family have developed drug or alcohol use please call 1-800-662-4357, for help. 

Work Cited:

Muldoon, Michael. “Peer Pressure and Substance Abuse.” Addiction Center, 18 Sept. 2020, www.addictioncenter.com/addiction/peer-pressure-substance-use.

“Understanding Drug Use and Addiction DrugFacts.” National Institute on Drug Abuse, 19 June 2020, www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/understanding-drug-use-addiction.

“How Drugs Affect Your Body | Betterhealth.Vic.Gov.Au.” How Drugs Affect Your Body, www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/HealthyLiving/How-drugs-affect-your-body. Accessed 16 Mar. 2021.